April 30, 2009

Opposite-Sex Marriage and the Dove Awards

The Christian right love her, the Miss USA judges hate her. And the rest of us took a full 26 minutes to figure out exactly what she was talking about. Miss California Carrie Prejean received a standing ovation as she was announced as a presenter at the 40th annual Gospel Music Association Dove Awards.


When asked to express her views on marriage during the interview portion of the Miss USA pageant, she responded:
“I think its great Americans are able to choose one way or another. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised, and that’s how I think it should be — between a man and a woman.”
Oookay. I'm not up on all the judging rules of the Miss USA pageant, but should she really be judged according to the content of her response vs. the eloquence of her response? I mean we, the general public can judge her all day long. I don't want my government monitoring the sex of my soulmate. But should the judges mark her down because they had a difference of opinion. What if a judge thinks all the world's children should starve to death and a Miss USA contestant expresses her desire to feed the children? What about that?

In related news, those in the audience that support Miss Prejean may also support torture.

No comments: