July 14, 2008

Oscar Potential No Joke For Ledger's Work

Recognition by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences once you're dead is a rare occurrence. Ever since critics have gotten a glimpse of Heath Ledger's work as the Joker in The Dark Knight, the latest re imagining of the Batman saga, Oscar buzz has been in the air.


The last Oscar given posthumously was awarded to Peter Finch for his 1976 performance in Network. Finch also received an Academy Award nomination for one of the first films with a unabashedly gay theme, Sunday Bloody Sunday in 1971. The similarities between Finch and Ledger stop there.

One of the first critic's to champion the Heath Ledger Oscar cause was Rolling Stone magazine critic Peter Travers. As reported by US Magazine, Travers writes, "I can only speak superlatives of Ledger, who is mad-crazy-blazing-brilliant as the Joker."

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the superhero genre of action film. And while I love to watch Jack Nicholson in most things, I had little interest in seeing him smeared with clown makeup playing opposite Batman.

As the trailers have graced my television, I have to admit I'm intrigued with this new caricature of the Joker. While I doubt I'll be racing out to the midnight screening on July 19, I plan on catching Ledger's eerily memorable performance. In time for the 81st Academy Awards!

No comments: